Back to school has arrived, and back to school means a return to fall recreation activities. Here is a list (in no particular order) of some of the excellent recreational programs going on in Colchester for you and your kids to try out this fall!
Douglas St. Recreation
Outdoor Sportball Soccer/TBall Combo classes start Sept 12th on the field behind the Douglas St Recreation Centre.
AGE 2-3yrs: 4:15-5:00pm (Parent & child)
AGE: 3-5yrs, 5:15-6:00pm
AGE: 6-8yrs, 6:30-7:30pm
Week 1: Sept 12 (Sun) & Sept 15 (Wed)
Week 2: Sept 19 (Sun) & Sept 22 (Wed)
Week 3: Sept 26 (Sun) & Sept 29 (Wed)
Week 4: Oct 3 (Sun) & Oct 6 (Wed).
To register: https://form.jotform.com/212173533240242
For more info, please contact Shannon Jarvis (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Cobequid Dance Academy
Cobequid Dance Academy Inc. believes in inspiring excellence and igniting passion by providing a strong technical foundation, and developing individual artistry in a supportive and encouraging learning environment that celebrates fun, fellowship and the joy of movement.
Our mission is to provide our students and faculty with a safe and encouraging environment where they can foster and nurture their artistic development and expression. We believe that a strong focus on developing technical proficiency goes hand-in-hand with exploring the reaches of artistic expression. We strive to provide each student with a chance to experience movement in a way that is unique, positive, and purposeful, while maintaining the simple joy and fun of moving.
Located in the heart of downtown Truro, CDA offers classes in Early Childhood Movement, Ballet, Contemporary Modern, Jazz, Hip Hop, Tap, Musical Theatre, Adult Classes and more. New student registration for their 2021-2022 dance year is now live!
Here is a brief list of their large variety of dance classes:
- Parent & Tot – For children ages 18 months to 3 years. This program focuses on introducing children to the world of movement through games, stories and songs.
- Early Childhood Movement – For children ages 3-5. A range of classes that focus on introducing children to the world of dance and music through songs, games and simple exercises with an emphasis on creative expression and fun.
- Recreational Ballet Program – For students ages 5 and above. These classes provide a broad practical dance education, progressively developing the technical, musical and performance skills of the student.
- Ballet Exam Preparatory Program – CDA’s Exam Preparatory (EP) Program is for students who wish to train toward participation in Royal Academy of Dance exams. Admission into this program is by audition only (or faculty recommendation). RAD training and exams are only available at schools with a Registered Royal Academy of Dance Educator.
- Modern Dance Program – For students ages 11 & up. CDA’s Modern Dance Program focuses primarily on training students in Graham and Limon techniques. Students will have additional training in Horton and Cunningham techniques.
- Contemporary Jazz Dance Program – For students ages 6 & up. Our Contemporary Jazz Dance Program provides an opportunity to be expressive to a range of musical styles including traditional jazz tunes, electronic and dance beats as well as contemporary pop music.
- Hip Hop Program – Our Hip Hop classes focus on the fundamentals of Hip Hop dancing.
- Lyrical Dance Program – CDA’s Lyrical classes focus on the Lyrical style of Contemporary dance, created by merging many different styles including Ballet and Jazz.
- Musical Theatre Program – Our Musical Theatre Program provides an essential blend of music, acting and movement training for the aspiring Musical Theatre artist.
- Tap Program – For students ages 6 & up. CDA’s Tap program is based in Musical Theatre style of Tap.
- Acro Program – CDA’s Acro Program introduces students to the building blocks of Acrobatic Technique in an appropriately paced and safe environment.
- Adult Dance and Fitness Program – CDA’s Adult Dance & Fitness Program is perfect for the adult dancer of any level.
Cobequid Spartans Gymnastics & Trampoline
Cobequid Spartans offers a range of classes that introduce the sport of artistic gymnastics and trampoline. Participants will be practicing skills on the vault, bars, beam, floor, and trampoline, and will improve agility and flexibility, gain strength and balance, all while learning a lot of fun skills! Their programs start the week of September 20th and they are still excepting registration for fall classes.
Here is a list of all of the recreational programs they offer:
- Kinder-Gym (Ages Walking – 3yrs): 45-minute class that is designed for learning movement patterns, and play. Parents and children attend this class together
- Preschool (Ages 3-5yrs): 45 minute program to learn movement patterns, and beginning basic skills. Program has levels 1 through 3 which will then lead into more advanced programs.
- Diff-abilities Class: No limitations to this program! Each participant brings an adult with them to help them succeed in the 30 minute class.
- Recreational Gymnastics (Ages 5-12yrs): 45 minute program to learn and understand the basic skills, beginner gymnastics that follows badge levels 1 to 4.
- Advanced Recreational Gymnastics (Ages 8-12yrs): 1 hr 45 minute hour program that teaches advanced skills on 4 events. Athletes in this program will follow badge levels 5 and 6.
- Intermediate Gymnastics (Ages 8-16yrs): 3.5 hour program (1hr and 45 minutes/2x Week) where gymnasts learn advanced artistic skills with increased focus on the Junior Olympic Program. This if for athletes who are at the turquoise level or otherwise invited.
- Recreational Trampoline (Ages 7-14yrs): This class is an introductory class for those who have none or limited trampoline experience and would like to learn and/or fine tune skills for fun or to move to the advanced trampoline class.
- Ninja Class (Ages 5-12 yrs): This discipline is inspired by gymnastics, obstacle training, and freestyle movement.
For more information, please visit https://www.cobequidspartans.com/gymnastics. **Pre-competitive & competitive programs are by invitation only**
Truro Allstar Cheer
Recreational Cheer and Tumble (non-competitive): This class is designed for kids age 3-12 years old. These students will work on basic tumbling skills as well as a variety of cheerleading motions and jumps. They also work on strength and flexibility, and beginner stunting. Athletes should wear gym clothes, have their hair in a high ponytail, bring indoor shoes and a water bottle.
Fall program – Classes start September 12th, Sundays starting at 3:45pm for 12 weeks. This program will introduce athletes to the sport of cheer. Tuition is $210.00. Registration is open now and there are still spots available.
The Cougar Dome is a Not-For-Profit sports bubble dome that offers year round free service to students within the Chignecto Central Regional School Board during school hours! The facility houses 4 tennis courts, 15,000 square feet of turf and a track surrounding it all. With all of this space, there are plenty of options for recreational programs and activities such as soccer, pickleball, golf, tennis, walking/running track, track & field, rugby, football, and many others! Come by the Cougar Dome to support the facility and have fun in a spacious and safe environment.
Tennis Learn to Play Program – 4 week program offered for youth and adult starting September 7th and October 4th. They offer programs for every level from beginner to competitive.
Find more information at http://www.cougardome.ca/tennis or email email@example.com to register.